News & Updates
Welcome to Our New Parishioners!
Seven new members were welcomed into our parish family at the Easter Vigil on April 8, 2023. Congratulations to
- Heather Weber (sponsored by Sr. Laura Reynolds)
- Kathy Crawford (sponsored by Jama Kinkaid)
- Tim & Melody Scroggins (sponsored by Sr. Laura Reynolds)
- Marcus Ferando (sponsored by Louie Ferando)
- Mike & Laura Marchetti (sponsored by Scott Marchetti)
Silver Rose Prayer Service
The Silver Rose Prayer Service, sponsored by the Knights of Columbus, was held on September 21. This special prayer service focuses on the sanctity of human life, from conception to natural death. The silver rose is on a nine-month pilgrimage that began in March and ends on December 12, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. During that time, Silver Roses travel from town to town along eight routes throughout North America. Several of those routes begin in Canada and end in Mexico. Parishioners present were invited to write their special intentions in the "Prayer Intentions Book" that travels with the rose.
Special thanks to all who attended and to those who helped conduct the service: Willie Wolf, David Spencer, Harry Orlandini, Bryce Levanti, Jim Yancik, Sr. Janice and Flora Alfoldy, Sr. Laura Reynolds, Fr. Urban Osuji, and Harold Campbell.
Prayers Answered . . . Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
Last fall, the Benton Knights of Columbus hosted the national prayer event, "Pray for Dobbs." Members of our parish family gathered online with Christians throughout the nation to pray for a just outcome on the Supreme Court case Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health. On June 24, 2022, the Feast of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Supreme Court announced its ruling which overturns Roe v. Wade. Read more here: https://www.vaticannews.va/en/world/news/2022-06/us-bishops-welcome-supreme-court-decision-overturning-roe-v-wade.html?fbclid=IwAR2UoDkkf-zI-tFsnnKSf3O2hWE-WMV3Y0G80xxN5iKKvTHKnfSct5rzSQI
The Chosen is a TV series about the life of Christ as witnessed through the eyes of those who met Him. The show was created outside of Hollywood and was funded entirely through donations (crowd funded). Season 1 and Season 2 both include eight episodes each which you can watch for free from their mobile app (www.thechosen.tv/app) or by clicking HERE. Season 3 is also currently being released.
Bishop Celebrates Mass on December 18
Bishop Michael McGovern celebrated Mass at St. Joseph Church on Saturday, December 18, 2021. In his homily, the Bishop encouraged everyone to have an "open" sign on their hearts to welcome Jesus on Christmas and every day of their lives. A memorial chalice was also presented by the 4th Degree Honor Guard of the Knights of Columbus Blessed Virgin Assembly. This chalice honors deceased KC 4th Degree members Paul Rogers and George Karoski. Following the Mass, a reception was held in the Parish Center. We extend our appreciation to everyone who helped with the preparations.
Click here to see photo highlights.
Support Our Seminarians
As young men answer the call to the priesthood, we are called to support them. There are currently six seminarians in the Belleville Diocese and you can learn more about them HERE. Consider sending a note, a card, or even a box of cookies throughout the year!
Bible in a Year Podcast hosted by Fr. Mike Schmitz
If you've struggled to read the Bible, this podcast is for you. This award-winning podcast contains daily episodes, about 20-25 minutes, and includes
--- two or three scripture readings
--- a reflection from Fr. Mike Schmitz
--- guided prayer to help you hear God's voice in His Word
This program is different than other Bible-in-a-year studies in that the books of the Bible are presented in a chronological timeline to help you learn "THE STORY" of salvation. And, it is completely FREE! Sign up at ascensionpress.com
Other Items of Interest
- Pray the Rosary: Let us pray the Rosary for our country and our church. Need proof of its power? click here
- Check out the kiosk in the west entrance of the church for engaging materials to enrich your faith. The kiosk is provided free of charge by our local Knights of Columbus councils.
- Walgreens and CVS have announced they will start selling the deadly abortion pill at our local pharmacy. Sign this petition to express your concern: CitizenGo
- A new song from Fr. Gabriel, who visited our parish last summer: Hail Mary
- Winners of the 2022 Knights of Columbus Vocations Support Raffle have been announced. For the third year in a row, winners came from Benton Council 9890 tickets! We congratulate Harry Orlandini and Ken Champley! Click HERE for the results.
- Bishop Michael McGovern YouTube Channel
Podcasts and Videos
Does your faith seem a bit "stale"? Are you indifferent towards the Church?
Here are some resources that can help you grow in knowledge and faith.
- Bible in a Year Podcast -- hosted by Fr. Mike Schmitz
- Catechism in a Year Podcast -- hosted by Fr. Mike Schmitz
- Science & Faith: Jesus Present in the Eucharist
- Miracle in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1996
- Miracle of Lanciano Italy
- Why Am I Catholic? the Eucharist
- All Things Catholic
- The Tightrope: Reflections for Busy Catholics
- Fr. Mike Schmitz -- videos and podcasts on lots of timely topics; especially good for young adults
- Pray the Mass like never before. This video explains what the Mass is really all about.
- The Veil Removed -- beautiful 7-minute video that depicts what is happening during the Mass
Into the Breach is a call to battle for Catholic men of all ages, which urges them to embrace wholeheartedly masculine virtues in a world in crisis. This video series seeks to answer what it means to be a Catholic man in today’s world. The series is inspired by the Apostolic Exhortation for Catholic Men written by Bishop Olmsted of Phoenix and produced by the Knights of Columbus
Be sure to register for our calling system to stay up to date on the latest parish news. This system will notify you with updates on events, changes in Mass schedules, funeral announcements, and any other important information. Simply call the parish office to get your phone number added to One Call Now.